COVID-19 Coronavirus Updates
Walking to school each day can be part of a good exercise program that keeps your child healthy, fit and ready to learn. Children who walk to school also helps minimize parking lot congestion at our schools. We have developed this school walk route to encourage walking and safe pedestrian behaviors.
This school walk route map shows the recommended route for your child to use walking to and from school each day. Mark the route from your neighborhood to the school with colored pencil or crayon.
Please help your child become familiar with this route by walking together. Teach your child to follow the safety rules listed below:
• Do not cross the street without supervision if you are under 10 years old.
• Stop at the edges of driveways, alleys and curbs or edges of the street where no curb exists and look left, right, and left again for vehicles before crossing.
• Walk; don't run, across the street.
• Cross at intersections, using crosswalks whenever possible.
• Walk on the sidewalks and trails when they are available, or if it is safe and you must walk on the side of the road, walk on the edge, facing traffic if there, is no sidewalks.
• Make sure drivers see you before crossing in front of them. Always attempt to make eye contact.
• Do not play in driveways, streets or by the side of the road.
• Wear highly visible clothing or reflectors when walking in the dark and use a flashlight.
• Cross at least 10 feet in front of a school bus or other large vehicle. Always attempt to make eye contact.
• Don't walk while texting or e-mailing
• Be aware of your surroundings, avoid wearing hoods that restrict vision, wearing earphones and listening to loud music.
This route will be reviewed yearly and may change as conditions along the route changes. Please contact Toledo School District Transportation Supervisor Don Hall or your child's building Principal if you have any concerns regarding the walk route. Together we can work to make your child's walk to school and enjoyable part of his or her day.